Monday, June 1, 2009

Downloadable Stuff

Today, my task for "23 Things" was to explore the world of downloadable books and videos. For many years now, it has been my job to promote these items and train staff about them. I really don't like them for myself. I know lots of others do and that is what the library has them for. I think the process of downloading is relatively simple once you have run through the steps and created an account. The thing that I don't enjoy is the browsing of titles, however they are organized, nothing beats walking through a library of books and discovering some little gem that you would have never picked up in a bookstore, but are willing to try for free. I just don't feel the same way about audiobooks.

The videos are a little better for me because the format is very similiar. I still find browsing a bit tedious on the computer, but I am more willing to download and watch on my computer then download and listen.

Of course, I don't tell any of this to the patrons. To them they would think I love it and work hard to promote them, just like any other resource. Hope I haven't been too much of a downer for all the lovers of downloadables, but I just love my books!

1 comment:

  1. Eh, I think it's the same with not liking a genre, y'know? You can hate mysteries and still know what you're talking about to recommend them...same thing with formats!

    [Then again, I'm a little biased - I really need to do this week's exercise, because I'm supposed to be a technomage, and I've never downloaded an eAudio before...I like the downloadable video CLP has, so I'm sure it won't be TOO traumatic. ;)]

    ReplyDelete